This is a diary of my journey through weight loss. I hope it encourages you as it helps me through one of the hardest challenges of my lifetime so far.



Saturday, August 14, 2010

week 4, day 25

 I was doubly inspired today. First,  I worked at my home health job.  I saw overweight, depressed, smoking, dirty, sick people who have lost control of their lives. And not necessarily because life dealt them a bad hand.  They don't make good choices.  When I see a diabetic who is drinking regular pop and makes every excuse in the world for not getting up out of the chair, I feel they are only feeding their disease.  I don't want to be there. When I see another diabetic who hasn't gotten out of bed by noon and hasn't taken their blood sugar, insulin or eaten...how much of that is "bad luck".  Or let me tell you about the most precious 82 year old who has never smoked, was athletic and fit for many of those years (believe me you can look at him and tell) and was a US Navy Pilot. He recently had a stroke and can't drive anywhere and his wife same age just had heart surgery and can't drive either. This weekend they have no food in their cabinets and no money to buy any. He needs medicine he can't afford to prevent another stroke.  Government funding has been cut and so they can't have meals on wheels.  They have no family close. Go back to the diabetics who live with their kids, all are low income and receive food stamps, have medical cards to pay for meds, have multiple kids, and also have all the food they need and big screen tv's. On top of that they blame others for their problems.  How does that happen? Now don't for one second get me wrong.  There are people who are trying and need help, but do they need it anymore than the sweet 82 year old man? I see this more often than I can say.  I try to be compassionate, but it is hard seeing things like that. I don't want to end up like that. I am sure there are circumstances in these situations, but in the end we have control.  I decide to exercise or not. I decide to eat cookies, drink pop, or not. I decide to take my medicine correctly or not.  I decide to do whatever it takes to not weigh 300 pounds or not. And so today I am motivated to continue my quest for good health. 

The second is in my daughter's blog today.  http://www.gogreeno.blogspot.com/ Can I just say this is one great woman? She certainly doesn't give herself enough credit, but she is awesome.  She inspires me in more ways that one and sometimes I can't believe she is mine. What a joy and a blessing she is.  Can you tell I love her with all my heart?
Well anyway, her blog today is 25 things she wants to do while she is 25.  I love it.  Writing it down. Making it tangible.  I would like to make a list of my own and that  is going to take some thought.  Things I would like to do in the next year.  To accomplish even some of the things would be great.  It is great to believe and do it instead of just dreaming and 30 years later you are still saying "gosh I would love to someday......................."
I have taught my kids for their whole lives and now, it's funny, they are teaching me. May I never be so rigid and set in my ways that I can't learn.

3 comments:

  1. Amen. Nicely done. When you take responsibility by realizing that your decisions shape what you are, it is easy to stay focused on your goal. The stuff about the kids was pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw mom!! I read your post last night and almost started crying...and then I started laughing becuase I realized that I would make fun of you for crying at a blog :) Love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kandy ~ I totally cried and Ashley ~ the kids made fun of me :) LoL I dont care you guys are precious!

    ReplyDelete